Delicious Turkish Lentil Soup
I've had lots of requests for this recipe - it's been a big hit at the last couple of retreats I've held. This 'feel good' soup definitely makes regular appearances in our home.
What I particularly love about this recipe - it's so simple, quick and easy to make.
1 cup red lentils
1 can chopped tomatoes
3 cups vegetable stock
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander powder
Wedge of fresh lemon
Serves 3-4 people
1) Heat a good amount of olive oil in a medium to large saucepan/pot. Add finely chopped onion and fry gently until transparent
2) While onion frying, wash lentils thoroughly
3) When onions transparent (approx 10-15 mins), add garlic and cook for another 5 mins
4) Add cumin and coriander powder, stir and continue to fry for another 2-3 mins
5) Add stock, tomatoes and lentils and stir well.
6) Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 mins until lentils have gone soft. Stirring occasionally.
7) Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon